Wednesday 5 September 2012

Completed Revell 1/144 - F-18 E Super Hornet


  Well I seem to be on a roll right now.  I have finally finished the F-18 E, lovely model one that I wish I could do again and do it differently.  Learned a bit on this one.  I decided not to put any weapons on this one.  I can't really see a CAG aircraft like this being loaded for war tbh.  So they will go into the stash for me to use on another plane.  Well on to the pictures.



   Tried to give it a little "diorama" by using the airfield... postcard.  Thats the only thing I can think to call it.  I got it from Hannants, thought it was going to be bigger tho.  Right onto the model.  First things, yes the canopy has "misted", I sprayed it with satin varnish and totally forgot to mask the canopy.  This is what happens to the canopy when you spray it with a varnish.  You can see all of the decals, even the annoying little ones.  There is a name on the front undercarriage door, thats a good decal and all the little ones on the front nose. 


   Tried a front shot, dont think it came out too well.  God knows where that shadow came from.  That canopy is really screwed :(  Wonder if I can sand it down... those hard points look really good and they are straight too!  I tried to paint the cannon holes, but dont think they came out too well.  Not too sure on the little box thing thats on the nose infront of the canopy.  Think that might be black... nevermind.


   The fuel tank was a bugger to decal up.  Actually thats not true, it wasn't as bad as the arrow thing or the black spine decal.  It was still a bit annoying tho.  The front door isn't level either, bugger.  that rear wheel needed a bit more work too, oh well... That fuel tank does fit in quite well with the plane tho.  Looks nice, dont think I got the red the right shade tho.


   You can see those little grey boxes between the rudders here.  I have no idea what those decals are or if they are in the right place but they look cool none-the-less.  I had no problems with these decals settling down after the usual MicroSol/MicroSet solution.  Not too sure if those engine exhausts look good enough or not.  I only brushed them with Vallejo Grey-Steel... looks okay to me.  But could to with some weathering.


  Right first off, I know I've buggered the white parts up.  I didn't mask them up before I sprayed it for the third time so the white turned into a pale grey.  I tried to brush paint on the white, but for some reason I can NEVER make it look like its gone on evenually... is it just me??  You can see that fuel tank better here. :)  All in all a good model and one I would most likely buy again but I would put on different decals maybe some low vis ones.  Incase you are wondering, my next project is to finish off the SA. 330 Puma.  :)

  PEACE!

  Dazz

2 comments:

  1. Nice one! Got to get me one of those Revell Super Hornets, looks like a great kit with a nice decal choice, really applied your perfectly, can see zero frosting.

    Dou you brush paint your models and with paiting white alot of very thin coats of paint i find helps, worst colour ro paint ive found and highly annoying when it uneven.

    Ever tried a panel wash, would really bring out all the detail which i really like myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks mate :) I'm just glad this plane is finally finished! It is a great kit with good decals. However if I was to ever to it again I would plan the decals better. The black one for the spine is one big long one that needs to go over the VHF antennas without a hole. So I cut it in half horizontally, which worked but didn't. I would cut it vertically (down the middle of the spine bit) that way you could make them overlap and get the other decals on without any problems. You get some good weapons in here too, iirc you get 2 x mk84 bombs, 2 x JDAMS, 2 x AIM-9X's and 2 AMRAAMS oh and a TILAD pod. which are not going to be used now. I was really happy with the decals on this one, except for the two that folded, glad someone noticed the work put into it. :)

    I've started to airbrush my models or in the case of white, use a spray can (I got a bit of it left). I just noticed that the white had been obliterated after the decals had been put on. I usually just brush on white straight from the pot/tin, dont thin it. It's bloody annoying tho, I really need to sort out how to paint white on as I've still got my 1/72 VF-1S to finish.

    As for the panel washes, I have thought about it, but the only one I have is a light grey one that would not show up on this model. Heard about an black oil paint method, need to look into that one. I'm willing to give it a go :) Thanks again for help :)

    ReplyDelete