Thursday 6 September 2012

Completed-ish Revell 1/144 F-14D Super Tomcat


  Right I was going to turn this plane into an Bombcat, I was also going to base it on the F-14's I have seen pictures of that where used in Afghanistan/Iraq, but I am not too sure if the Grim Reapers (VFA-101) where deployed to either theatre.  So for the time being I am leaving the weapons, I have seen pictures only of models mind, of the F-14 with a TILAD pod on the right wing hardpoint and an Phoenix on the other... that just sounds wrong to me tbh.  Why would you need an 100km range Air-to-air missile when you are bombing things.  Just seems weird, unless it's for the weight??  Anyhow on to my thoughts of the plane/model.


   All in all the canopy didn't come out half bad imo.  I have tidied up the various white parts but I am really impressed with the decals, maybe thats my forte? :P  I really suck at painting wheels...


   The other side, I have used an Soviet style parking ramp card, oh yeah these are printed/made by Hoys Minatures, but are available from Hannants, I was going to use it for something else yet to be announced :P  The fuel tanks could've been done better, never mind.  Think I will buy this model again in the future and do the other decal option on it, iirc which is a low-vis one.


  Back half of the Cat, I'm really liking the use of Vallejo's Oily Steel for the engine nozzles.  Need to mix some different shades of it for my other models tho.  Think those ejector handles are too big, but I am still massively impressed with them. 


   Took this picture just because that little Grim Reaper decal is the nuts!  Just noticed that the red band above it hasn't gone on too well.  I will need to MicroSol that bugger down.  I also need to revarnish this model, seems a tad too shiny.


   Too the picture of the nose because I love that sharkmouth.  No other reason really :P I was most impressed with that decal, it settled down really well, unlike that bloody red band one.


   Better shot of the sharkmouth and the canopy.  Think I will put some Sidewinders on her just to make her look like she has some bite.  That black bit was painted on, really easy to do too it was :)


  Finally, no Tomcat article/description or anything to do with it, wouldn't be complete without a picture of it's wings swept back.  Such a good looking plane and it was actually useful as well.  Still trying to understand why this was dropped when the F-18's Air-to-air range is useless compared to this.  Oh yeah, I have not put the undercarrage doors on, as they have been eaten by The Great Carpet Monster.  So until I can find them this will have to be a door-less F-14.  Now to make the F-14A I have :)

  Peace!

  Dazz

No comments:

Post a Comment