Thursday 6 September 2012

Completed Revell 1/144 - Typhoon FGR.4


  I'm on a roll eh?  Thats 3 models in 2 weeks that I have completed... wow.  Well out of the 3, the F-18, F-14 and the FGR-4, this is the one I like the most, don't know why tho.  This was an enjoyable build except for all the troubles I have had with finding the right greys, which have now been sorted.  Learn from your mistakes eh?  I based this model on a picture I have of another Typhoon also from No.11 Sqn but with the tail code "DJ" dropping a Paveway IV (I think).  Hence the bombs being a weird colour and not the standard grey/green.  


   Right where do I start? I put the model on the Soviet parking ramp as I can't find the NATO one... bugger.  I decided not to use the Stormshadows in the end as the only viable hardpoint for them is the ones that's attached to the "supersonic" fuel tanks.  Unfortunately the pylons are moulded onto the tanks so I decided to keep them as they where.  Knowing me I would of taken out the tanks or the pylons or both. :P


   I used my brain and what I know about planes to "make-up" this load out, and when looking for the piture of my base plane I see that there is a picture of this excat load out on Airliners.net (Just do a search in google for "Typhoon FGR4" and it'll be there.) did I call that one or what? :)  I've also just read that the bombs are known as Paveway II's to us and GBU-10's to the Americans/everyone else... not too sure how accurate that is?...  You can see the "pirate" pod just infront of the canopy on the left.


   The other side, not much to say here really, looks like a mean mofo tho.  Still not too sure if it can compete with the Rafale tho, that plane is class I gotta admit.  I had to take my scratchbuild HUD off as the canopy wouldn't fit with it on, couldn't be bothered to make another either.  Nevermind maybe on the next one.


     One model where I didn't obilerate the white paint! WOORAH! I scratch built the pylon for the LITEING III pod, now that I am comparing pictures of this plane to the other ones with this load out I am noticing that the pod/pylon is set a little more forward inbetween the undercarriage doors... oh well. 


   Just a picture of one wing and all of the bloody "No Step" decals it has... this is for ONE side only, you've got the ones underneath and on the spine too (you can just see them there).  Took a bloody age to get them all done.


  After reading Ant Sized Man's suggestion on panel washes, I read somewhere think it was Britmodeller.com that you can use black paint thinned down... so I have tried it.  Not too sure how well it's come out.  Opinions people?  If it's bad I will leave it and find a propper wash if it gets a thumbs up I will try it on the rest of the model.  This was done using Vallejo black and normal tap water.  Not sure myself... Well thats my attempt at an FGR.4 model.

  Peace!

  Dazz

No comments:

Post a Comment