Friday 21 December 2012

Revell 1/144 F-18D WiP5


  Well this update is about two weeks old now.  First up, I had the F-18D all decaled and loaded up and thought "result!" then I put a sealing coat of varnish on the bugger.  This is what happened.  Now the "silvering" is where the varnish has reacted with the other varnish, its not where I have screwed up the decals.  I am actually pretty good with decals for some reason... I dunno.  Altho the "reaction" was pretty bad, it melted the glue and paint from the front canopy and the two HARMS fell off too as did the right Sidewinder.





  That little lot just made me cry, well I put the pictures up at Britmodeller as I was putting this build there as an WiP for them to laugh at.  I was given advice by Jessica, tomprobert, and Neal (from Britmodeller) that a light coat of gloss varnish *might* fix this cock up.  Well I gave it a try and here be the results.





  You have no idea how happy I am that this turned out this way, I need to touch up some areas but other than that I am well chuffed that it worked.  All I gotta do now is to tidy the canopy, paint the arrestor hook and the engines and this will be done.  Overall I am massively impressed with the RetroWings cockpit and control services parts.  Will be using their gear again soon. :)

  Constructive comments welcome.

  PEACE!

  Dazz

2 comments:

  1. Damn shame about the frosting effect had that happen to me when i use to use spray cans and after it happening a few too many times i now do all my protective coats from the airbrush. Always use vallejo stuff too so no mixing of different brands, great that you fixed it, done bad paint work before and a good coat of gloss fixes it a treat.
    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was using Humbrol varnishes, admitted from a spray can. I've had no problems with these two before. A few of the peeps at Britmodeller think it's because it was cold/wet when I done it. I dunno... thinking of leaving the gloss coat on now as I have seen this bird (Revell have got the colours totally wrong! Must research more often) and she is very clean. Should be finishing this one off in the new year. :)

    ReplyDelete