Friday 16 August 2013

Messing around with the camera...


  So on Tuesday night was the zenith of the Perseid meteor shower typically I missed it as I read it was at midnight on the 13th.  So I thought that meant 12pm on Wednesday (the day after).  I was outside with the camera taking 30 second subs waiting for something... anything.  I found naff all after two hours.  Then while waiting for the camera to take a 5 minute sub (I was playing around at this point), I was on Star Walk on my phone.  I well recommend this app, its made by ESA (European Space Agency) and the way it presents its info and stuff is clear and concise.  Shame Planterium isn't working no more :(  Anyhow, I was on Star Walk and noticed that Andromeda was right infront of me, usually when I am outside with the telescope she is on the otherside of the house, the side where the chavs could see my nice shiny telescope.  So I tried to locate it, that was easy enough then I thought about getting the camera on it.  Easy enough also, I done a few 30 second subs and messed with the ISO on her (the camera is an Canon 1100D, I love that camera!).  Here is one of the better results... still needs a lot of work, but like modelling it will come with pratice.



  Now as it stands, that isn't much to look at.  However if you look about 2 thirds of the way up and right in the middle, you will see a little grey "smudge".  That ladies and gentlemen is our nearest spiral galaxy, the Andromeda Galaxy.  We are currently heading towards each other at 74km/s (266,400 mph for the ones who can't work it out).  We are expected to "collide" with it in 3-5 billion years time.  It will either fling Sol out of the Milky Way or it will annihilate us completely.  Time will tell, I wont be around so it matters not to me.  

  The reason for the streaks is not because I moved the camera, it's the Earths rotation making it appear that the stars are moving.  The only start that is not moving as much (but it does move) is Polaris aka the North Star/Pole Star.  I will get around to taking a picture like that one day.

  One last picture for you lot...



  Andromeda is about the centre of the picture. Think this was a 25 second sub.  Hope you enjoyed this little de-tour from modelling. :P

  PEACE!

  Dazz

No comments:

Post a Comment