Thursday 15 November 2012

New Project Revell 1/144 F-18C and F-18D Wild Weasel


  So I stared these two while I was waiting for the Puma's primer to dry.  I was having a lot of fun with these two so I continued and left the Puma to it's own devices.  Anyhow on to the pictures.


   Here we have the usual Revell box art, I likes this one, still trying to work out what plane is on fire to the right of the box.  The box artwork for the CF-18C and the schemes can be found here....


   This is one scheme that I will not be using for this model, I have bought a second one, so I will be making this version when I build that one. :)


   Technically this is two schemes in one, as there is different "tiger" stripes before and after 2009.  I am still trying to work out if this is a Tigermeet scheme or not, and now that I think about it, I dont ever recall the US Marines ever going to a Tigermeet.  I could be completely wrong, but I personally have never seen/remember it.


  The sprue shot... (bowchica-bow wow!)... both models have the same sprues so I am not going to post two pictures of the same thing.  On to the fun part of this build.


   I bought this Retrowings cockpit upgrade set thing to go with the F-18D when I realised that during the fun job of cleaning them, that there will be parts left over for the single seater, aka the F-18C.  So I am getting two models upgraded for the price of one... RESULT! :)  The two parts in the middle with the long pole things threw me off a little bit.  I thought the pole things where just spare resin for the moulding process.  Turns out when I was researching cockpit colours that they are infact the pump/jacks that open the canopy.  Who'da thunkit?!


 And the control surface upgrade for the F-18, this one will be going on the F-18D.  A fair bit to clean up but not too much to make me cry.  The only issue will be the flaps making sure I do not cut too much off when cleaning up.


  So I marked off what needed to be cut from the F-18D on the model, quite a fair chunk of it by the looks of it eh??  Was fun cutting it all off, I only cut off as much as I dared and sanded down the rest as I didn't wanna screw up the whole thing.  This is the first time I have ever used resin or cut a model, so I am going to go slow with this.


  Here we have the F-18D on the left with all of her wings hacked off and on the right is the CF-18C untouched.  I have used the canopy spines from the cockpit kits here as I want the canopys to be open.  I hope I can pull this one off without screwing it up.


  The two offices side by side, not really much to see but showning what they look like.  The canopy colours are kinda boring, either black or grey.  But easy to paint so not too bad I guess.  Not much else to say really, wonder what stuff they have where the second seat would be??  HHmm...


  And finally we have all of the Retrowings cockpit put together and painted.  You can also see two leadshots to stop her being a tail sitter.  I doubt she will be but I would rather not find out the hard way.  I like that back seaters cockpit, looks the part.  The Pilots instrument panel has been stuck onto the fuselage already, you'll see that at a later date when the halfs are married up.  Not much else to report apart from what I have done on the models I have liked, will be buying more of Retrowings' stuff in the future.

  Peace!

  Dazz

No comments:

Post a Comment