Thursday 29 November 2012

New Purchase Revell 1/144 F-16C


  I saw this model in ModelZone the last time I went to Lakeside with Nat.  It's the new tooling and I just had to get it, wished I had gotten 3 now as their 3 for 2 offer is still on... bugger.  First the pictures. :)


   Here is the box art for it.  Typically in Revell fashion of late it's an awful CAG/Anniversary scheme.  Don't think much of this one at all.  I'm guessing it's an Texas based squadron or something.  Also by the looks of it, it's loaded out as a Wild Weasel of some kind.


   The scheme looks like any other F-16 but with the Texas flag thingy put on it.  I suppose it's not too bad, but then again it is the only scheme they have got on here.  It wouldn't of killed them to of put on a low-viz scheme of some kind.  However unlike the F-15E that was released earlier this year, the important stencils are not in the fancy parts. So you can make a low-viz one of some kind I guess...


   The decals, not much to see here really.  You got all the stencils on the bottom right and the other bits all around it.  Not much more to say here really.  I might just scrap these decals and use the stencils on the F-15E, not too sure yet.


   The first sprue, first thing that might come to mind is the fact the top fuselage is cut in half.  I assume that is in case an 2 seater gets released later on.  The detail is amazing, we got 3 tanks and two sidewinders as well.  And the usual other bits and bobs that makes up a plane.  Now that I look at it, there's a bit of flash around the bottom part of the fuselage and that corner of the sprue.


   Now the top half of the fusleage.  Also one thing that might catch your eye is the fact that there is two tailplanes.  If I read correctly, this is so you can make either an F-16A Block10 or an F-16C.   Not too sure which is which but I will look into that, I always liked F-16 Block 52+'s dunno why..  You can also see 4... I think they are AMRAAMS, still thats a cool load out.


   I said earlier that you could make the A or C models, theres two tails for it in this model.  Also you have two HARM's, two GBU 10's (?) and some kind ECM pod, not too sure what one it is.  Guess I will find out when I look into it.  The canopy is here also, doesn't look like it can be cut in half easily either for an open "office"... shame. 


   A close up of the front top fuselage, look at the detail of the HUD, first time I have ever seen anything like that from a Revell model in 1/144.   I wonder if the moulds are from another company like Trumpeter or Eduard??  HHmm... still lots of nice detail there that I can dry brush out.


   Back half of the fuselage here, just a shot to show the engraved panel lines, nice and crisp.  Should take an pin wash quite nicely, if I ever can be arsed :P


  Bought these decals from Hannants as I was going to use them on my F-16XL as an "what-if" kind thing.  I might still do that now that I think about it, I like these decals, not too showy and it's got a scantly clad lady on it too, so it beats a man in a dodgy stetson hat.  Still thinking of using the summer one for the F-16XL and the winter one for the F-16.  Well I've got a few models on the go atm so I will not be starting this one any time soon.  I might buy a few of these and see what I can bodge up. :)

  Peace!

  Dazz

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Got to get me one of these, did not know that it was released yet. Really like the different tail as i prefer the a type and all the wepaons is a surprise, usually lacking on most revell kit or just enough.
    First decent f-16 ever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah the kit caught me by surprise when I saw it in the shop also. I am kicking myself now that I didn't get 3 of them. The decals are the only part that has let this model down. I know Trumpeter are working on an F-16 too. The weapons where a shock to me also, I was expecting the usual tanks and sidewinders, not this little lot. The only thing I am not liking is the GBU-10 is in two parts. Then again if you want weapons you just buy a Dragon kit. :) Expect an WiP soon :)

    ReplyDelete