Thursday 19 July 2012

Revell 1/144 E-2C Hawkeye and AV-8B Harrier II+ Completed.


  Yes, you did read the title right.  After a year I have finally finished the Hawkeye.  It wasn't the "dream build" I've read about.  But I think thats more to do with my stupidity than anything else.  I also "finished" the Harrier.  I balls'd it up tho so I have left it where it is.  Still quite impressed with it.  I'll post pictures of the Harrier first.


   I can't believe how well the cockpit has come out.  Love the fuel tanks too, shame they messed up too.


   The transfers/decals where not that bad actually.  I was expecting far worse.


  Close up of the cockpit, can't believe how much detail you can see in it.  I need to make better cockpits, but I am happy with this.  The HUD looks cool.  Learning how to make seatbelts will be my next thing.


  Top view, if you are wondering why the fuel tanks are on the middle station instead of the inboard ones. Thats because I wanted to use the GBU-12 and TILAD pod on the inner ones.  I've got pictures of AV-8B's like this, so I know its a viable fit.  Might break off the tanks and use them again.


  And finally the tail, the decals weren't that bad really.  However they are not a simple fit, I cut mine into two parts, wish I had done 3 or even 4.  Now that I think about it, I am going to make this model again.  Maybe with aftermarket parts and dropped flaps.  Now onto the Hawkeye.


   I am really loving this model, now the bugger is finally finished.  Think the de-icing boots could of been done better or masked off.  But live and learn eh?


 Top back half.  Really am pleased with how this came out.   I will be buying this again at a later date.


   I just love that Green and Yellow band around the forward fuselage. It actually fits and it wasn't that hard to put on either.  As for the "Danger" one for the props... that was a complete bastard and didn't go on straight :(






   Think if I was to do this kit again I will have to do it as an Hawkeye 2000, and have folded wings on it.  I'm gonna have to paint the "button" on the radar as it's a different colour.  Also the cockpit will be painted better as you CAN see it through the windows.  Still I am well happy with what I have done.


   Decals for the rudders look really cool to me.  Not too sure if they are on correctly or if they have silvered a little?


   Love the little decal for the "USS Kitty Hawk".  Oh yeah the walkway decals.  I forgot to put them on before I had rebuilt the rotordome housing.  However you can put them on after the housing is on the plane.  However I do still believe that it would be easier to place them before the housing is on and maybe to cut the main on for the wing up into two parts as it has to match a panel line on the wingspar and there is also an emergency escape hatch on the rear fuselage that they wont match up with.  Still this is one good kit.  The decals are really good.  Need to recover the windscreen to varnish it and try out a little wash.  I will see about doing that tomorrow.

  Any comments or suggestions please let me know.

  Peace!

  Dazz


No comments:

Post a Comment